Miracle in Cell No. 7: A Review

5:15 PM 3 Comments A+ a-

Theatrical Release Poster


I am not really fond of watching Asian movies. Yet lately, Asian countries like Japan, South Korea and Thailand are creating movies that are not only for leisure, but also these movies impart great lessons.

Recently, I was browsing my news feed at Facebook, then some of the statuses I am reading are talking about this certain Korean movie. It's entitled as Miracle in cell No. 7. Well at first, I was not really interested about it. I thought, it may be like the usual movie about a prisoner or something. But, my cousin once told me that she already watched the movie and surprisingly, she said that it really made her cry that much. Then I thought, maybe I should try watching it. So, I do. And gosh, it almost felt like I cried a million tears. The movie is really heartbreaking. It is very touching. It was totally amazing.

Well, since this is a movie review, I'll just give you a synopsis of the story so that you'll get an idea what Miracle in Cell No. 7 is all about.

MOVIE PLOT:

Lee Yong-gu was a mentally-incapacitated father to a 6-year old girl, Ye-sung. They are happily living together, while Yong-gu is working as a parking lot attendant.



Ye-sung was really fond of the bag which design is the Japanese character, Sailor Moon. They always visit this certain store where the said bag is only sold.

The Sailor Moon bag.
Ye-sung and Yong-gu while dancing along with Sailor Moon's themesong.


Unfortunately, the Sailor Moon bag was bought by a girl whose father happens to be a police commissioner. Yong-gu strive to get the bag back but he failed. He promised Ye-sung that he will still buy the bag.

But one day, as Yong-gu counts his salary, the girl who bought the bag approached and tell him that she knows where Yong-gu can buy the bag. So Yong-gu followed her. Unluckily, the girl met an accident and died. Yong-gu tried to save her but an elderly mistakenly thought he is raping the kid. This lead him to be falsely accused and sentenced to death for abduction, sexual assault and murder of a minor. Ye-sung was sent to a childcare institution, while Yong-gu was imprisoned.

Yong-gu's cellmates reading his criminal record.
Yong-gu, as he first entered his cell.


Well, to cut the story short (I was already narrating the story, naaaaahh. -.-), Yong-gu's cellmates made a way to get Yong-gu and Ye-sung reunited. Even if the police chief already found out that Ye-sung was kept in their cell, he realized that Yong-gu was innocent and let Ye-sung stay with his father.


Ye-sung was secretly brought to the cell to be with her father, Yong-gu.
The police found out that Ye-sung was kept in the cell.
Ye-sung was finally allowed to stay in prison.

In the end, Yong-gu was still sentenced to death.

Ye-sung's last day.



Last moments of Ye-sung and Yong-gu together.

After some years, Ye-sung asked for a re-investigation, and she proved to the court that her father is innocent, and she won the case.


Ye-sung defending her father in court.

Literally, I was sobbing especially with the part where they have to part ways. It really saddened me. It feels like I am torn.

This movie will touch every Father-Daughter relationship. A good timing for Fathers' Day.
Miracle in Cell No. 7 is definitely a must-watch.


For everyone's delight, here is a copy of the movie, subtitled in English.
Happy watching! :)


3 comments

Write comments
Unknown
AUTHOR
4:54 PM delete

This. <3 the most heartfelt movie I've ever seen.

Reply
avatar
The2Black
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

https://philosophicaldisquisitions.blogspot.com/2011/03/problem-of-evilmiracle-ratio-part-1.html

Reply
avatar
Unknown
AUTHOR
4:45 AM delete

Can't control my tears. I never watch kdrama before. But when watching this video i love k drama very much.

Reply
avatar