MARY HIGGINS CLARK: A Book Review (Pt. 1)

10:50 AM 0 Comments A+ a-

I've been addicted to reading Fictions as early as 11 years old. Sometimes, I feel incomplete whenever I don't get the opportunity to read. It became a habit of mine.

I've been reading suspense/thriller-themed books. I find books with this certain theme a lot more interesting, compared with the usual themes like Romance and Adventure. I get to be more imaginative while reading such. I have developed my investigative skills. It also helped me widen my vocabulary and comprehension.

Anyway, when it comes to suspense/thriller fictions, one name will definitely stand out. She's no other than Mary Higgins Clark. Let's get her into details.

Mary Theresa Eleanor Higgins Clark Conheeney, or commonly known as Mary Higgins Clark, was born on December 24, 1927 at New York City. She is famous to be known as the "Queen Of Suspense Novels." Clark started writing at an early age, with writing short stories as her starters. All of her 42 Novels were bestsellers in the United States and some European countries.

Her suspense genre was inspired by her urge to support her family's finances. She began writing again suspense novels, just like the first time she started writing. The book, "Where are the Children?" became a bestseller and then the rest is history.


Of all her 42 books, I was able to get copies of three of her novels namely No Place Like Home, While My Pretty One Sleeps, and Nighttime is my Time. And I must say, these books are a total must-read.

This will be a three-part blog entry. Each part will be my own review for each of the book I've read. For the first part, the book Nighttime is my Time will be reviewed.


NIGHTTIME IS MY TIME


Book Cover
Nighttime is my Time was published on April 01, 2005. This novel is known to be a riveting tale of suspense, secrets, and revenge.

The Story:


The story tells about a group of people who gather together to celebrate their twentieth reunion of alumni of Stonecroft Academy, where she along with six others will be honored for being distinctive in their chosen careers.

Jean Sheridan - She is the story's main character. A college dean and a prominent historian of the batch. She traveled back to her hometown not only to attend the said reunion, but to the fact that she's been receiving several fax from an anonymous person who knows her most painful secret. Each fax sounds threatening, not to the point that her secret will be revealed, but the purpose is to do harm.
Jack Emerson - He stayed in town and made himself a known real estate man, with an ego as big as his appetite. He was the one who planned the event to give recognition to the six honorees. However, his main agenda is to raise funds.
Carter Stewart - Known to be the center of jokes and malicious laughter of his batch, Stewart managed to be a writer of dark plays.
Mark Fleischman - The renowned psychiatrist of their batch from Boston.
Robby Brent - The well-known and successful comedian of their batch.
Laura Wilcox - The gorgeous girl who went to Hollywood to be an actress.

As the story progresses, several conflicts have arise. There is Laura Wilcox missing. The fax that Jean has been receiving telling about her child, Lily. Jean was introduced to Sam Deegan, a detective who has been obsessed for years by an unsolved murder case of a young woman in Cornwall. He, together with Jean, find ways in looking for "The Owl."

In the end, they found out that Carter Stewart, formerly known as Gordon Amory, is The Owl. He's been killing those girls, including Jean, who made fun of him. He intended Jean Sheridan to be his final victim. But he thought, Jean would suffer more if he will make her daughter, Lily, as a bait to trap her and finally kill her. But his plans never succeeded. He later killed himself, and Laura and Lily were set free.

What's my Say? 

At first, I really don't get a clear picture of the plot. However, it has set a thrilling atmosphere. It really stretched my mind to think who The Owl really is. It is like you're battling with an unknown enemy.

For those who are thrill-seekers, Nighttime is my Time is a recommended book for you. It will certainly give you mind-bogging scenarios that you will definitely love to solve.