ON TRACK: Royals

6:30 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

ON-TRACK
This blog segment will be featuring songs every week. It will tell about everything about the song like its release date, singer, music video and cover video. What will make this blog series unique is that, I will post my own version of the song. :D

So, let's start with our very first featured song..


"And we'll never be royals...."

Familiar with the lyrics, right? Well, it came from the famous song, Royals by Lorde. This will be the week's featured song for ON-TRACK.

Song Lyrics:


[Verse 1]
I've never seen a diamond in the flesh
I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies
And I'm not proud of my address,
In the torn-up town, no post code envy


But every song is like gold teeth, grey goose, tripping in the bathroom
Blood stains, ball gowns, trashing the hotel room
We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
But everybody's like crystal, Maybach, diamonds on your time piece.
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash.
We don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair.



And we'll never be royals (royals).

It don't run in our blood,

That kind of lux just ain't for us.
We crave a different kind of buzz.
Let me be your ruler (ruler),
You can call me queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
Let me live that fantasy.


My friends and I, we've cracked the code
We count our dollars on the train, to the party
And everyone who knows us knows that we're fine with this,
We didn't come for money.


But every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom.
Blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room,
We don't care, we're driving Cadillacs in our dreams.
But everybody's like crystal, Maybach, diamonds on your time piece.
Jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash
We don't care we aren't caught up in your love affair



And we'll never be royals (royals).
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz.
Let me be your ruler (ruler),
You can call me queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
Let me live that fantasy.

Oooh ooooh ohhh
We're bigger than we ever dreamed,
And I'm in love with being queen.
Oooooh ooooh ohhhhh
Life is game without a care
We aren't caught up in your love affair.

And we'll never be royals (royals).
It don't run in our blood
That kind of lux just ain't for us
We crave a different kind of buzz
Let me be your ruler (ruler),
You can call me queen Bee
And baby I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule, I'll rule.
Let me live that fantasy.


About the Song:

Royals is a song recorded by the New Zealand singer-songwriter, Lorde. The song was released on June 2, 2013. It was her first single for her Lorde's debut album, The Love Club EP. Royals is an art pop, minimal pop, and electropop song. The song is somehow similar rhythm with a snap song, where the instrumentations are finger snaps and bass. The concept of the song is about the luxury and lifestyle of a pop artist. In the first part of the song, it tells about her struggles as a starting artist in Auckland. The whole concept started at the song's chorus.

Royals received many critical acclaims. It was recognized to be one of the best songs of 2013. It was also nominated for different music awards. It won as the Best Pop Solo Song and Song of the Year in the 56th Annual Grammy Awards. It also won as the Single of the Year by the 2013 New Zealand Music Awards.

It also topped most of the Music Hit Charts. It debuted at the number one spot at the New Zealand Top 40, and stayed at the top for three weeks. In October 2013, it topped the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

About the Singer:

From the age of 14, Lorde has been a part of Universal to develop her music vision. She had thought of writing a song about the luxury of pop musicians, which is the inspiration of the birth of the song, Royals. Lorde wrote the song Royals in July 2012 for only a half an hour.

Music Video:

The official music video of Royals was released on Lorde's official Youtube Account on May 12, 2013. The US version was released on June 18, 2013 through her Vevo Account.



Covers and Remixes:

Many artists have made their covers for this song. But for this one, I would be featuring Pentatonix' cover of Royals.

Pentatonix is an acoustic group, known to be making unique covers of famous songs. I must say that their cover of Royals, if not the best, is one of the best versions I have heard. Their unique attack of the song is amazing.



Royals was also a part of Daniel Kim's mash up of the biggest pop music of 2013.



My Own Version of Royals:

Actually, I find it hard to cover this song because of its fast pace. But I really wanted to sing this song because I get hooked up with the song after I have listened to it. And I must say that, I think I did a good job in singing the song. :P

I hope you appreciate my cover! :)






This is just the first of the many featured songs for On-Track. If you have song suggestions, feel free to let me know. Happy listening!